- The residences are spread across 8 villas. Each villa has 3 bedrooms, each accommodating 2/3 students. Each student gets his/her own bed and side-table, wardrobe and laundry basket.
- There are 7 washing machines and clothes driers that the students can use to do their own laundry. Students have to iron their own clothes as well.
- While everyday cleaning of the villa is taken care of the students have to make their own beds and keep their rooms tidy.
- Each villa has a kitchen fitted with a microwave, hotplate, refrigerator and water purifier.
- Being a part of the academy the player will have access to all the coaches. As mentioned in the beginning the academy does not subscribe to the traditional half-hour lessons but has personalized training plans for each player. The player has to do the work given by the Director of Instruction under the supervision of the team that is present.
- Coaching is a two-way street here as students have a fair amount of data to give back to their coaches for them to analyze and know just how aware the student is of his routine.
- The academy nutritionist who designs the monthly menu plans a nutritious diet.
- There are both vegetarian and non-vegetarian options.
- Students get 6 meals a day as per the nutritionist’s advise.
- For the Part-time and Full-time programs sports science is mandatory and they can use the center on campus as well as in Bangalore.
- Students on the Visiting program will do an assessment with the fitness team and be taken through a few mobility and flexibility drills in their week long stay at the academy.
- Recreational room equipped with table tennis, foosball, carom and chess.
- Lounge to watch TV.
- Library and Computer lab in the Learning Center.
- Player meetings in the amphitheater.
- Student development activities whether on or off-campus.
- If the student is staying in the academy residences, irrespective of the program, it is inclusive of unlimited use of the driving range and golf course, and, unlimited range balls.
- If the student is part of the academy (on one of the programs) but staying off-campus or in a rented/own villa on campus, the charges for use of the golf course, driving range and range balls will need to be paid directly to Zion Hills. There is a preferred price for academy students.
- Experts who visit the academy regularly are the Nutritionist, Mindfulness Instructor and Club Fitter.
- Only students on the full-time program have access to them either in-person or on skype. This is not open to students on either the Part-time program or the Visiting program.
- All students irrespective of the program they are on are permitted to attended the group talks given by the experts.
- There is a full-time nurse on campus who stays in the same villa in which the academy infirmary is located.
- There are 2 hospitals within an 8km range – Srinivasa Medical Hospital which is a private hospital, and Sri Devaraj Urs Medical College, a similar distance away. Both have good facilities. In case we are not satisfied with the course of treatment we will take the student to a hospital in Bangalore.
- The experts are scheduled to meet the students once a month, however, the student can reach out to them outside of the scheduled monthly sessions if required.
- There are times, especially with mindfulness training, when a student needs to communicate more often – this is determined between the psychologist and the student, and there is no rule at the academy that the student can only see/Skype with the expert only once a month.
- If a monthly session is missed, one need not worry because it is possible to reach out to the expert at a time suitable to both the student and the expert; often times they are already in touch through the course of the month whenever the student needs a problem solved or a query answered. We encourage students to not wait until the next scheduled session if the need is more immediate.
- The student is expected to take the initiative to reach the expert if need be outside the scheduled monthly sessions
- If a student is travelling, the academy schedules a Skype call with the expert and the student is expected to himself/herself available for the same
- Students are allowed to leave campus only if they are playing a tournament, visiting an expert, going to the airport and need to visit the doctor. Any other reason requires written permission from the parents.
- A local taxi will be arranged for the same if the academy car and driver are not available for some reason.
- Every villa has a digital number lock and only those living in that villa, along with the management staff, have access to the code. This code is changed every 10 days
- There is a walkie-talkie placed in every villa incase they need to reach any staff member on campus
- They are not allowed to travel unaccompanied between the residences, learning center, functional training center and driving range. Specific members of the staff have been allotted this duty
- They are not permitted to go alone on the golf-course; they cannot go on the golf-course without informing the coaching team
- The students have ID cards which they need to carry with them at all times
- Zion Hills Golf County provides security for the entire facility and has allotted guards within a certain radius around the residences specifically.
- Students staying in the academy residences are each given an academy bicycle.
- They have to follow the rules laid down for safe-keeping of the bicycles
- Students who are found to be careless will have disciplinary action taken against them.
- Tarun Sardesai, the Director of Instruction and his family stay on campus.
- Prithviraj Ram, the Head Coach, also stays on campus along with his family.
- Other staff members who stay on campus and in the same villas as the students include Ajo Jose (Head of Student Management), Jaspal Singh (Assistant Coach), Stella (nurse).
- There is a full-time physiotherapist, a sport science expert and 2 interns, placed by YOS (the team that manages and runs the functional training center), who also stay in the student villas.
- Other staff members stay either in Kolar or Bangarpet.
- We do not take students for South Zone tournaments.
- We do take students for local tournaments.
- However, this cost is not included in the program fees.
- The academy organizes a tempo traveller or Innova cars depending on the number of students travelling.
- A staff member/guardian accompanies the students.
- All charges are at actuals. The students share the cost of travel, stay and food for the staff member/guardian equally.
- An invoice for the same will be sent to the parents.
- Technology will be used as a diagnostic tool if the coaching team feels the need.
- There is an indoor studio with a SAM Putt Lab, for outdoor work there is a FlightScope, and video cameras for swing analysis.
- Ball testing is also done to identify which type of ball is best suits the student.
- Every student is required to have access to Google drive to input their data and make it accessible to the coaches.
- The coaches in turn also populate a student’s Google drive folder with the required documentation be it practice protocols, assessment tests etc.
- We have a strict cellphone policy that allows students access to their phones for only 30 minutes a day.
- If for some reason they need to make a call outside the fixed timings they can access the staff phones.
- Similarly if parents need to call outside of the fixed timings they will have an academy number on which to reach the student.
- TSG has custom made stationery that students on either the Part time of Full time programs get.
- The stationery has been designed for them to stay organized during practice and after tournament rounds.
- It pushes them to record their learnings on a day to day to basis.
- It pushes them to think because there is nothing better than putting pen to paper as proven scientifically.
Health related fitness:
- Cardiovascular fitness
- Muscular endurance
- Body composition
Performance/ Skill related fitness:
- Reaction time
An athlete needs specific fundamental and locomotive skills to analyse the movements required for his sport to help him excel.
Signs to pay attention to:
- If the pain you are experiencing prevents you from carrying out daily activities associated with living or working, then the exercises were too much
- If discomfort lasts for more than 72 hours
- Severe unbearable pain
- Severely swollen limbs
- Loss of joint range of motion due to severe swelling
- Dark colored urine or decreased production of urine
While the athlete is on tournament for long periods, according to availability of the equipments a customized exercise program is given so that he/she doesn’t go into de-training and to prevent injury. Also we are continuously in contact with students when they are off-campus through Google drive where they already have access for their exercise programs, and the Coach Now application where teams can have a look at their form in the exercises through videos. We have a training diary entry everyday which keeps a record of the athlete’s physical activity in terms of the weight lifted, the number of balls hit, hours of sleep he/she took and the delayed onset of muscle soreness scale (DOMS).
The fitness team has made athletes more independent on aspects of self-care. Our physiotherapist teaches the preventive measures to be taken during tournaments and also some techniques like Taping for any injury to self or fellow mate when required.
TSG is the only academy that provides all domains of fitness, coaching and nutrition under one roof which makes it different from any other academy and is the best for nurturing budding golfers.
- It increases your energy level
- It helps your body to get ready for the strenuous physical impacts according to nature of sport
- It boosts your mood and attitude
- Prevents you from injuries
- A fit body gives you confidence and gives you a mental boost helping you build a stronger personality
- Consistency and continuity are the key to keeping fit
For prehabilitation/rehabilitation you will need a foam roller, lacrosse ball, theraband/loop band/theratube (as suggested), weight cuffs (as suggested), a stick, any other equipment needed other than this will be told during consultation.
If a player is already suffering from an injury, what will be the training and management aspects for the same?
For conditioning sessions: Running shoes and water bottle.